The Payne Institute is honored to welcome leading thinkers in energy, natural resources, and the environment.
Stay tuned for future events and follow us on Twitter for the latest Payne Institute news and information.
- Payne Faculty Fellow Nicole Smith presents Is responsible sourcing possible? An Exploration of gold supply chains in Peru in Marquez Hall, Room 322, CO School of Mines. January 23, 2020.
- Morgan Bazilian will present on Energy Security and Resilience at the Western Energy & Water Forum in Steamboat Springs, CO. January 22-25, 2020.
- Payne Fellow William Nuttall, Professor of Energy, The Open University, presents Hydrogen from Natural Gas – Key to a Low Carbon Future? in Brown Building, Room 125, CO School of Mines, January 27, 2020.
- Payne Institute Earth Observation Group’s Chris Elvidge will give a seminar at Columbia University, New York City. January 29, 2020.
- Payne Fellow Trisha Curtis, President and Co-Founder of PetroNerds, presents New Insights on the Global Oil Market in Marquez Hall, Room 310, CO School of Mines. January 30, 2020.
- Payne Institute Earth Observation Group’s Chris Elvidge will give a seminar at University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts. January 29, 2020.
- Morgan Bazilian will present on the Energy Transition during the UT Energy Week 2020, in Austin, TX. February 17-21, 2020.
- The Payne Institute co-hosts with Benchmark Minerals for a discussion on the Mineral Foundations of the Energy Transition at the CO School of Mines. March 2020.
- Payne Advisory Board member Daniel Kammen, Professor of Energy, University of California, Berkeley will present on Energy and Development at CO School of Mines, March 2020.
- The Payne Institute co-hosts with Capital Power for a discussion Carbon Capture Utilization & Sequestration (CCUS) at CO School of Mines. March 3, 2020.
- Payne Institute Earth Observation Group’s Chris Elvidge will present Satellite Data at Mines at the CO School of Mines. March 10, 2020.
- Morgan Bazilian will present on The Changing Geopolitical Landscape for Minerals and Metals in the Energy Transition and the EV Battery Supply Chain: Scale, geography and recycling at CERAWEEK in Houston, TX. March 9-13, 2020.
- Payne Fellow Gavin Hilson, Chair of Sustainability in Business, University of Surrey, UK, will present on Extractive Industries and Society at CO School of Mines. April 7, 2020.
- Morgan Bazilian will present at the Engineers Ireland National Conference at the Dublin City University – The Helix in Dublin, IE. April 23, 2020.
- The Payne Institute will co-host a session on Minerals for Energy Storage Systems at the Institute of the Americas XXIX La Jolla Energy Conference in California. May 20-21, 2020.
- Morgan Bazilian will present on the “Mineral Foundations of the Energy Transition” at the 2020 AAPG Annual Convention & Exhibition in Houston, TX. June 7-10, 2020.
2020 Events Archive
- Payne Institute welcomes Arnaud Vasquez, CEO of HySeas Energy, as he presents Taking Hydrogen to the Seas – A Detailed Look at the Challenges of Deploying Hydrogen Fuel Cells in the Marine Environment in Alderson Hall, Room 134, CO School of Mines. January 21, 2020.
- Payne Institute Earth Observation Group’s Chris Elvidge is giving a seminar on the Electric power reliability indices derived from satellite observations of surface lighting: preliminary results at the Asian Development Bank – Economic Analysis and Operational Support Division – Economic Research and Regional Cooperation Department in Manila, Philippines. January 16, 2020.
- Greg Clough will present at the Atlantic Council Global Energy Center’s workshop Global Illicit Oil Trade: Measuring Progress and Identifying Emerging Good Practices in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. January 10-12, 2020.
- Payne Institute Earth Observation Group’s Chris Elvidge is presenting on the Near real time update and distribution of VIIRS temporal profiles of surface lighting: preliminary testing at the 3rd International Workshop on Glocal Monitoring in Tokyo, Japan. January 9-10, 2020.
2019 Events Archive
- Morgan Bazilian will present on An Energy Policy Approach to Climate Change Mitigation and The Green New Deal: From Resolution to Reality at the AGU Fall Meeting to be held in San Francisco, CA. December 9-13, 2019.
- Payne Institute Earth Observation Group Researcher Mikhail Zhizhin will present on Reading Gas Flare Histories with VIIRS Nightfire Temporal Profiles: preliminary results and Fishery Management from Space: Matching VIIRS Boat Detection with VMS Tracks at the AGU Fall Meeting to be held in San Francisco, CA. December 9-13, 2019.
- Prof. Tim Ohno, faculty advisor, and Lucy Davis, Mines Solar Decathlon Club, present How Mines Won the Solar Decathlon. Refreshments and networking after the presentation, CO School of Mines, Brown Building, W250. November 21, 2019
- Morgan Bazilian will speak about the Geopolitics of the Energy Transition at the University College Cork: MaREI Institute in Cork, Ireland. November 18-20, 2019.
- The Payne Institute Fall Seminar Series presents Dr. Will Toor, Executive Director of the Colorado Energy Office presenting Transport Policy, Alderson Hall, room 230. November 14, 2019.
- Payne Fellow, and Colorado School of Mines Professor, Dr. P.K. Sen presents Water Delivery and Hydro Power Generation in the West, Part 1 on Wednesday, November 6, and Part 2 on November 13, 2019, Berthoud Hall, Colorado School of Mines. November 13, 2019.
- Chris Elvidge presents on the Global satellite observations of surface lighting: From DMSP to VIIRS at the Dark-Sky Association 2019 awards ceremony proceedings in Tuscon, AZ. November 8-9, 2019.
- Morgan Bazilian will host a round table discussion on Energy and Resilience at the APPAM 41st Annual Research Conference: Rising to the Challenge: Engaging Diverse Perspectives on Issues and Evidence in Denver. November 7-9, 2019.
- The Payne Institute is a proud partner of the Vets2STEM Technology Expo Careers in Energy and Defense program at Colorado School of Mines Green Center (Vets2STEM program). November 7-8, 2019.
- The Payne Institute will join with NREL and JISEA for a seminar titled The Renewable Opportunity in Mining: Program Scoping Meeting in Golden, CO. November 7, 2019.
- The Payne Institute presents Jeff Logan, Chief Analyst in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center – NREL, discussing Electrification, in Engineering Hall, room 217. November 7, 2019.
Jeff Logan Presentation
- Payne Fellow, and Colorado School of Mines Professor, Dr. Salman Mohagheghi presents Asset-and-User-Aware Power Grid Dispatch During Extreme Temperatures at Colorado School of Mines. November 6, 2019.
- Payne Fellow, and Colorado School of Mines Professor, Dr. P.K. Sen presents Water Delivery and Hydro Power Generation in the West, Part 1 on Wednesday, November 6, and Part 2 on November 13, 2019, Berthoud Hall, Colorado School of Mines. November 6, 2019.
- Please join the Payne Institute for Perspectives on the Future of Oil and Gas with discussions from Wim Thomas, Eirik Wærness, and Michael Cohen – Scenarios: What is the Future of Energy, and Andreas Goldthau, Amy M. Jaffe and Sarah Ladislaw – Implications for Geopolitics & Industry in the Ben H. Parker Student Center Grand Ballroom at Colorado School of Mines (Agenda). November 5, 2019.
Payne Institute presentation
John Bradford presentation
Michael Cohen presesntation
Andreas Goldthau presentation
Wim Thomas presentation
Eirik Wærness presentation
- Chris Elvidge will deliver a talk about the Use of Night time VIIRS data for Fire Mapping/Monitoring for a webinar organized by the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing. November 4, 2019.
Chris Elvidge Presentation
- Morgan Bazilian will chair a panel and speak on the Geopolitics of Energy Transition at the 37th USAEE/IAEE North American Conference titled Energy Transitions in the 21st Century to be held in Denver. November 3-4, 2019.
- The Payne Institute Fall Seminar Series presents Colorado Representative Chris Hansen, District 6, Denver discussing State Politics and Policy, Alderson Hall, room 230. October 31, 2019.
- The Payne Institute Fall Seminar Series presents Jeffrey Ackerman, Chairman of the Colorado Public Utilities Commission discussing Public Utilities Regulation, Alderson Hall, room 230. October 24, 2019.
Jeff Ackerman presentation
- The Payne Institute Fall Seminar Series is glad to welcome Jeff Colgan presenting A Tale of Two OPECs at Hill Hall room 204. October 21, 2019.
Jeff Colgan 2014 IO – Limits of OPEC
- Morgan Bazilian will participate on a panel for Energy Conflict at the ISSS-IS Annual Conference 2019 at the Korbel School, Denver. October 18-19, 2019.
- Greg Cough will participate in the 4th Energy and the Economy: Markets in Transition Conference hosted jointly by the Federal Reserve Banks of Kansas City and Dallas in Denver, Colorado. October 18, 2019.
- Morgan Bazilian will participate at our partner KAPSARC hosted event the T20 on the G20. October 13-14, 2019.
- Payne Institute Fellow presents Children of a Lesser God: Why men and women who claim that Mining Engineering is boring are dead wrong in Brown Hall 206. October 8, 2019.
- Payne Institute Expert Barbara Smith presents All’s Fair in Love & Global Development: He Said/She Said at the Posner Center, Denver, CO. October 3, 2019.
- Adrian Tuck, CEO of Uplight, will give a talk titled How I Almost Killed My Company a Story in Three Acts: Lessons from a Decade and a Half of Disrupting the Energy Market in the Student Center Ballrooms D&E, at Colorado School of Mines. October 1, 2019.
Adrian Tuck Presentation
- Morgan Bazilian will participate in the Hurdles to Near-Earth Object (NEO) and Lunar Mineral Extraction Workshop. Organized in collaboration with Colorado School of Mines, the workshop will take place at United Launch Alliance’s headquarters in Centennial, Colorado. September 27, 2019.
- Payne Institute Senior Research Associate and Director of Future of Oil and Gas Initiative, Andrew Spielman, will discuss Energy and Natural Resources Law and Regulation in Alderson Hall room 230, at Colorado School of Mines. September 26, 2019.
- The Payne Institute will join Carnegie Mellon University and Rice University in hosting the Inaugural University Energy Institute Leadership Summit – 2019 in Pittsburgh. September 25-26, 2019.
- Morgan Bazilian will participate in the Ernst & Young 2019 Americas Mining and Metals Forum: Mining in 2040 at Colorado School of Mines. September 23-24, 2019.
- Payne Institute presents John Putnam, CDPHE – Regulations, Policy, and the Energy Transition in Alderson Hall room 230. September 19, 2019.
John Putnam presentation
- Greg Clough will participate in the “discussion of the focus on demand drivers for non-fuel minerals development underlying many views about future energy transitions” at a workshop hosted by the Baker Center for Energy Studies/Energy & Minerals Program and co-hosted by the Imperial College-London at Rice University. September 18-19, 2019.
- Payne Institute partners with NREL for the Open Energy Modeling North America Workshop. Open Energy Modeling (Open-Mod) workshop to discuss how to further the use of open data and open software tools in the energy modeling community. September 18-19, 2019.
- Morgan Bazilan attended the 2019 Minerva Meeting and Program Review in Washington, DC. September 18, 2019.
- Morgan Bazilian will give a congressional testimony to the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources of the United States Senate regarding the “Mineral and Metal Foundations of the Energy Transition” in Washington, DC. September 17, 2019.
- Morgan Bazilian will lead a panel at the Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik – German Institute for International Security and Affairs (SWP – German government) in Berlin, Germany. September 16-19, 2019.
- The Payne Institute is hosting a Book Launch – Power Trip: the Story of Energy by Michael E. Webber, ENGIE at the Arthur Lakes Library at the Colorado School of Mines. September 16, 2019.
- The Payne Institute will host a seminar on the Future of Lithium Markets by Emily Sarah Hersh of DCDB Group at Colorado School of Mines. September 11, 2019.
Emily Sarah Hersh Presentation
- The Payne Institute will host the Denver Energy Dialogues. September 10, 2019.
- Chris Elvidge presents “VIIRS data gems from the night” at the graduate student colloquium, Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics, Colorado School of Mines. August 28, 2019.
- Morgan Bazilian will participate in the Thought Leaders Dinner as part of the Colorado Oil and Gas Association (COGA) Energy Summit in Denver. August 26-28, 2019.
- Morgan Bazilian will discuss Methane Hydrates during the 2019 Minerals Under Water Symposium: The Science of Politics of Extractive Industries in the Oceans and Beyond at the University of Delaware. August 28, 2019.
- Morgan Bazilian will discuss the Space Resources Institute Act with U.S. Congressman Scott Tipton in the Student Center Ballrooms BC at the CO School of Mines. August 26, 2019.
- Chris Elvidge presents “VIIRS Data Gems from the Nights” on the NASA/NOAA Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) was designed primarily to meet the observational requirements of meteorologists. VIIRS are flown in 100 minute polar orbits and collect image data with a 3000 km swath. A complete set of daytime and nighttime images are collected every 24 hours. The VIIRS is similar to several other satellite sensors but is unique in the collection of low light imaging data in five spectral bands. August 23, 2019.
- Chris Elvidge presents “VIIRS boat detections in Somalia” at the One Earth Future in Broomfield, CO. August 28, 2019.
- Morgan Bazilian will host a round table discussion on Energy Transition at the Institute of the Americas in LaJolla, CA. August 15, 2019.
- Greg Clough will moderate a discussion on Commodity Markets during the 3rd Annual JPMCC International Commodities Symposium in Denver. August 12-13, 2019.
- Morgan Bazilian will present at the upcoming 2019 Veterans Advanced Energy Summit: Where the future of energy meets national security on Tuesday, August 13, 2019 in Chicago.
- Chris Elvidge of the Earth Observation Group (EOG) will be the Keynote speaker on the topic “VIIRS data gems from the night” at the 1st International Conference on Agriculture and Rural Development (ICARD) at the Sultan Ageng Tirtayasa University, Banten, Indonesia. August 8, 2019.
- Chris Elvidge of the Earth Observation Group (EOG) will discuss “Feasibility of developing a fishing ground for Indonesia” in a fishing ground atlas meeting at the IPB University, School of Fisheries, Bogor, Indonesia. August 6-7, 2019.
- Chris Elvidge of the Earth Observation Group (EOG) will participate in the survey for a candidate location for VIIRS boat detection calibration lights for a future string-of-light VBD calibration facility at Burapha University, Chanthaburi, Thailand. August 1-3, 2019.
- Chris Elvidge of the Earth Observation Group (EOG) is participating in a discussion about Grids and linear features in VIIRS boat detection at the Southeast Asia Fisheries Development Center (SEAFDEC) Headquarters, Bangkok, Thailand. July 31, 2019.
- Chris Elvidge is presenting on “Low light imaging of the Earth at night” at the NASA South/Southeast Asia Research Initiative Training Workshop, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Johor Bahru, Malaysia. July 26, 2019.
- Chris Elvidge is discusses VIIRS boat detection (VBD) at the Singapore Navy Maritime Information Fusion Center, Singapore. July 24, 2019.
- Chris Elvidge of the Earth Observation Group (EOG) is participating in the VIIRS boat detection briefing at the NASA South Asia Research Initiative Research meeting in Johur Bahru. July 22,2019.
- Chris Elvidge of the Earth Observation Group (EOG) is participating in the VIIRS Nightfire meeting with the satellite fire team a the Meteorological Service of Singapore. July 23,2019.
- Chris Elvidge of the Earth Observation Group (EOG) is speaking on VIIRS data gems from the night at the NASA South/Southeast Asia Research Initiative (SARI), Land Use/Cover Changes, Environment and Emissions in South/Southeast Asia – An International Regional Science Meeting, in Johor Bahru, Malaysia. July 22-31,2019.
- Peak Anything: Are We Running Out of Exhaustible Resources. June 19, 2019.
Cameron Hepburn, Professor of Environmental Economics at the University of Oxford, Director of the Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment
- Chris Elvidge discusses Gas Flaring in Colorado at the Forum on the Future of Oil and Gas in Colorado at the Colorado School of Mines. June 4, 2019.
- Chris Elvidge presents VIIRS boat detection data at the Marine Technology Department, Burapha University, Chanthaburi, Thailand. May 28, 2019.
- Chris Elvidge discusses VIIRS boat detection spatial patterns in S.E. Asia at the Southeast Asia Fisheries Development Center (SEAFDEC) Headquarters, Bangkok, Thailand. May 21, 2019.
- Chris Elvidge gives a VIIRS boat detection update at the Walton Family Foundation, Denver. May 17, 2019.
- “Multi-Method Decision Modeling of Distributed Energy Resource Impacts on Electric Distribution Grids.” May 7, 2019.
Cory Welch and James Milford, Lumidyne Consulting
- “Satellite-Detected Natural Gas Flaring” April 23, 2019.
Mark Davis & Alessandra Kortenhorst, CH4STOP
- Chris Elvidge presents on VIIRS boat detection to the Naval Information Warfare Center, Pacific Intelligence Data Analysis Branch, in San Diego, CA. March 27, 2019.
- “From Limits to Growth to Planetary Boundaries: The Evolution of Economic Views on Natural Resource Scarcity
” April 26, 2019.Edward Barbier, Professor of Economics, Colorado State University
- Book Launch – Titans of the Climate March 21, 2019.
Kelly Sims Gallagher, Energy and Environmental Professor, The Fletcher School, Tufts University
- “Energy Perspectives 2018” March 18, 2019.
Eirik Waerness, Senior Vice President and Chief Economist, Equinor.
Morgan Bazilian to speak about The Changing Geopolitical Landscape for Minerals and Metals in the Energy Transition at the Innovation Agora during Ceraweek by IHS Markit. March 11-15, 2019.
- “The Renewable Power of the Mine” February 28, 2019.
Nicolas Maennling, Lead Economics and Policy Researcher, Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment
View Slide deck
- “The Politics of Emission Policy in the US” February 27, 2019.
Brian Efird, Senior Research Fellow and Program Director, Policy and Decision Science, KAPSARC
- Colorado Oil & Gas Volatility Workshop Agenda. January 18, 2019.
Leading thinkers and practitioners in the disciplines of oil and gas volatility gather to consider the affects volatile energy prices have had on the Rocky Mountain region, including those on local and state governments.
2018 Events Archive
- “Power System Planning and Markets” November 30, 2018.
Presented by Ben Hobbs, Johns Hopkins
- “Energy Systems Integration” November 26, 2018.
Presented by Mark O’Malley, Senior Research Fellow, and Chief Scientist of Energy Systems Integration, NREL
View slide deck
- “Panel Discussion: Pueblo’s Renewable Energy Transition” November 13, 2018.
Presented by Kathleen Staks, Executive Director, Colorado Energy Office
- “Copper’s Role in the Energy Transition” November 7, 2018.
Presented by Andrea J. Vaccari, Director Health, Environment and Sustainable Development, International Copper Association
View slide deck
- “United States Diplomacy and the Challenges Ahead” November 6, 2018.
Presented by Ambassador Christopher Hill, University of Denver, Joseph Korbel School of International Studies
- “Oil on the Water – A Look at Security Concerns Relating to Hydrocarbons Activity in the Maritime Domain” November 2, 2018.
Presented by Dr. Ian M. Ralby, I.R. Consilium
- “Does Half A Degree of Global Warming Matter?” October 29, 2018.
Presented by Brian O’Neill, University of Denver, Joseph Korbel School of International Studies
View slide deck
- “The Emerging Economic, Environmental, and Geopolitical Implications of Changing U.S. Energy Trade” October 18, 2018.
Presented by Alex Gilbert, SparkLibrary
View slide deck
- “Getting Published in a Leading Journal: Perspectives of Authors, Editors, and Publishers” October 8, 2018.
Presented by Adam Fraser, Elsevier
View slide deck
- “Leading the Energy Transition” October 1, 2018.
Presented by Amory Lovins, Rocky Mountain Institute
View slide deck part 1
View slide deck part 2
- “Energy in Africa” September 17, 2018.
Presented by Todd Moss, Center for Global Development
- “The Oil-Climate Index” September 13, 2018.
Presented by Deborah Gordon, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
View slide deck
- “The Role of Natural Gas in the Energy Transition” August 22, 2018.
Presented by Arvind Ravikumar, Stanford University
View slide deck
- “RETScreen software and energy investment decision making” May 16, 2018.
Presented by Gregory Leng, Natural Resources Canada
View slide deck
- “Weather-Informed Energy Systems Utilizing the WIS:dom Optimization Model” May 3, 2018.
Presented by Christopher Clack, CEO, Vibrant Clean Energy, LLC
View slide deck
- “Ways of Price Making and the Problem of Markets in the U.S. Natural Gas Industry” April 26, 2018.
Presented by William Boyd, professor of law at University of Colorado Law School
Director of the Laboratory for Energy and Environmental Policy innovation
- “Climate Change and Inland Flood Risk in the Continental United States” April 17, 2018.
Presented by Cameron Wobus, principal scientist, Abt Associates
View slide deck
- “Fires, Flares, Boats, and Lights – Data Gems From a NOAA Weather Satellite” April 11, 2018.
Presented by Christopher D. Elvidge, PhD
NOAA‐NESDIS‐NCEI Earth Observation Group
View slide deck
- “Vulnerability of the U.S. Electricity Grid to Climate and Water” April 5, 2018.
Presented by Jordan Macknick, Energy – Water – Land Lead Analyst
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- “Colorado’s Electric Sector” April 3, 2018.
Presented by Mark D. Safty, Wirth Chair in Sustainable Development
School of Public Affairs, University of Colorado, Denver
View slide deck
- “Energy in Colorado” March 22, 2018.
Presented by Andy Spielman, partner, co-partner-in-charge, Denver office
Chair, Energy, Environment and Natural Resources Practice at WilmerHale
View slide deck
- “Global Manufacturing and Trade of Renewable Energy Technologies” March 20, 2018.
Presented by Jill Engel-Cox, director, Clean Energy Manufacturing Analysis Center
Deputy director, Joint Institute for Strategic Energy Analysis, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
View slide deck
- “Lessons from Australia on Clean Energy Opportunities and Challenges for Electricity Grids, Large and Small” March 1, 2018.
Presented by Iain MacGill, associate professor, School of Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications, UNSW Australia
Joint director (engineering) UNSW Centre for Energy and Environmental Markets
View slide deck