Earth Observation Group
Utilizing cutting edge satellite technology and data to inform stakeholders on issues related to oil and gas, power outages, forest fires, and fishing.
The Earth Observation Group (EOG) specializes in nighttime observations of lights and combustion sources worldwide. The group started working with Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) data in 1994 and has produced a time series of annual cloud-free composites of nighttime lights. EOG’s current focus is on deriving products from nighttime Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) data.
QUICK DATA ACCESS
Global Gas Flaring from Space
VIIRS Lumen Watch
LATEST NEWS & MEDIA EXPOSURE
- 2021-05-17, “Arabian Night Lights“, NASA Earth Observatory
- 2021-05-13, “Colorado oil and gas company aims to produce “cleanest molecules” anywhere“, Denver Post
- 2021-05-10, “Gas Flaring Declined in 2020, Study Finds“, New York Times
- 2021-02-17, “Satellite Photos Show Extent of Texas Power Outages From Space“, Newsweek
- 2019-11-19, “Earth Observation Group wins Galileo Award from International Dark-Sky Association“, Mines News
- 2019-6-15, “Editorial: Dark skies brighten the world“, Daily Camera
- 2019-5-17, “Monitoring hack shines a light on fishing boats operating under cover of dark“, Mongabay, Basten Gokkon
- 2019-2-26, “Early Edition: Environment group uses satellite images to monitor illegal fishing hotspots“, ABS-CNB News
- 2018-11-15, “Using big data and artificial intelligence to accelerate global development“, Brookings, Elizabeth Salich
- 2018-8-13, “How Space Weather Can Cause Issues with Tropical Weather“, WeatherNation
- Zhizhin, M.; Matveev, A.; Ghosh, T.; Hsu, F.-C.; Howells, M.; Elvidge, C. Measuring Gas Flaring in Russia with Multispectral VIIRS Nightfire. Remote Sens. 2021, 13, 3078.
- Hsu, F.; Zhizhin, M.; Ghosh, T.; Elvidge, C.; Taneja, J. The Annual Cycling of Nighttime Lights in India. Remote Sens. 2021, 13, 1199.
- Elvidge, C. D., Hsu, F. C., Zhizhin, M., Ghosh, T., Taneja, J., & Bazilian, M. (2020). Indicators of Electric Power Instability from Satellite Observed Nighttime Lights. Remote Sensing, 12(19), 3194.
- Ghosh, T.; Elvidge, C.D.; Hsu, F.-C.; Zhizhin, M.; Bazilian, M. The Dimming of Lights in India during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Remote Sens. 2020, 12, 3289.
- Elvidge, C. D., Ghosh, T., Hsu, F. C., Zhizhin, M., & Bazilian, M. (2020). The Dimming of Lights in China during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Remote Sensing, 12(17), 2851.