EARTH OBSERVATION GROUP
The Earth Observation Group (EOG) specializes in nighttime observations of lights and combustion sources worldwide. The group started working with Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) data in 1994 and has produced a time series of annual cloud-free composites of nighttime lights. EOG’s current focus is on deriving products from nighttime Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) data.
QUICK DATA ACCESS
PRODUCT BY PLATFORM
LATEST NEWS & MEDIA EXPOSURE
- 2019-6-15, “Editorial: Dark skies brighten the world“, Daily Camera
- 2019-5-17, “Monitoring hack shines a light on fishing boats operating under cover of dark“, Mongabay, Basten Gokkon
- 2019-2-26, “Early Edition: Environment group uses satellite images to monitor illegal fishing hotspots“, ABS-CNB News
- 2018-11-15, “Using big data and artificial intelligence to accelerate global development“, Brookings, Elizabeth Salich
- 2018-8-13, “How Space Weather Can Cause Issues with Tropical Weather“, WeatherNation
- 2018-6-28, “Close encounters of the fishy kind”, EurekAlert!, Global Fishing Watch
- 2018-6-16, “Bright lights revear the ‘dark’ fleet“, EurekAlert!, Global Fishing Watch
- F. Falchi, R. Furgoni, T. A. Gallaway, N. A. Rybnikova, B. A. Portnov, K. Baugh, P. Cinzano, C. D. Elvidge, 2019, “Light pollution in USA and Europe: The good, the band and the ugly” Journal of Environmental Management 248, 109227
- Hsu, F-C, Elvidge, C., Baugh K., Zhizhin, M., Ghosh, T., Kroodsma, D., Susanto, A., Budy, W., Riyanto, M., Nurzeha, R., Yeppi, S., 2019, “Cross-matching VIIRS Boat Detections with Vessel Monitoring System Tracks in Indonesia”, Remote Sensing 11(9), 995
- Elvidge, Christopher D., Mikhail Zhizhin, Kimberly Baugh, Feng Chi Hsu, and Tilottama Ghosh.,2019, “Extending Nighttime Combustion Source Detection Limits with Short Wavelength VIIRS Data” Remote Sensing 11(4), 395.